Thursday, September 25, 2008

The Trouble With Atkins

I'm not sure if anyone really remembers the atkins diet or if they were ever on it, but the concept and the practice of that restriction completely wierded me out.

I was in high school when the popularity of the Atkins diet was at its peak. I remember working at my dad's job and meeting some really nice people at the hospital. One of the nurses was on Atkins, and on top of being an avid vintage label collector, Patty (not her name) was a somewhat larger woman. Patty was two weeks into her Atkins regimen when I started working at the hospital. Excited about her weight loss, Patty continued eating her meats and fats, as long as she avoided all carbs. Unfortunately, her giant economy size bag of FRIED PORK RINDS was fit for the menu. When the department took me out to lunch on my last day, we went to my favourite tapas resteraunt. Patty ordered the saganaki (a large brick of Greek cheese that is covered with butter, liquour and herbs. It was CARB FREE!

I just think it's funny when we find ourselves following trends that we rationalize as good or in this case, healthy for us. Patty did lose 20 or so pounds, but ended up smelling like ammonia, like most Atkins dieters do. Trade offs...

No comments: