Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Yes, We Did

America has just elected President-Elect Obama. If I hadn't been working at the poll precinct for over 13 hours, I'd be jumping for joy, and running around the streets screaming at the top of my lungs. Just kidding, maybe not that, but I was happy to see history in the making with my family on our cozy sofa.

I saw so many different people vote today. Our precinct holds about 1079 votes, and we ended up having 703 of them come in a vote. That's more or less close to 70 percent. 70 percent, in some places more, of people came in yesterday to vote because they believe they have a stake in this election. Whether they believed in their guy, or voted simply because they didn't believe in the other guy, history was made.

Last night I couldn't stop alternating between tears and smiles. I didn't think the election of our first African-American president would happen this early in my lifetime. I also keep thinking about Colin Powell's elegant and thought-provoking endorsement. He attacked the xenophobic attitudes about Obama's otherness, and in doing so, he helped other Americans who might not necessarily have the last name Smith or Jones, or even Polanski.

This is amazing. I am sooooo proud to be an American, and I can already feel that the next four DAYS, will be better than the previous eight years.

1 comment:

Barry Scott said...

Even as a previous visitor to America, I was so proud...Now, I feel Europe has a new found respect for the USA. Even though the States has its fair share of problems, I believe that under the right conditions, America can show the rest of the world how different ethnic and religious groups can co-exist.

I'm interested to know how you feel about the election now....